I love cheese. That’s a fact. I’ll put it on almost anything, in some form or another. I love this recipe as it contains two different goats cheese. Winner!
These filo parcels (that look like mini spring rolls) are a perfect snack, appetiser or starter. I’ll be upfront, the spinach is a bit fiddly to prepare, but the parcels themselves are incredibly easy to make. You could add uncooked spinach for a crunchier, fresher roll if you want to miss out this fiddly step.I use pre-made and rolled pastry, but the rest of the ingredients are fresh! This recipe makes 10 individual rolls, but you can increase the weights of everything to increase the number.
To prepare these parcels you need:
2 sheets of ready-made filo pastry
100g spinach, wilted
60g feta, crumbled
20g butter, melted
Liberal amounts of black pepper
1 tsp basil
Runny honey with thyme/basil
Sweet chilli dip
To rustle up these rolls you have to:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c.
2. Wilt your spinach by putting it in a pan and pouring in boiling water, no need for a heated hob. You don’t want it too soft or soggy, so I recommend leaving the leaves in the pan for 2-3 minutes until it has just wilted. Pour the spinach into a colander and leave to drain. When it has cooled squeeze with kitchen roll to remove excess water.
3. Separate the spinach leaves (they’ll probably be in a soggy ball after you’ve squeezed them), slice into small thin strips and add to a mixing bowl.
4. Add the crumbled feta, ricotta, basil and black pepper to the bowl and stir lightly so it creates a lumpy mixture (don’t over mix it!)
5. Place a sheet of baking paper in a baking tray.
6. Spread your sheet of filo pastry on a board or work surface and slice into 6 rectangles (I used a pizza cutter). Lightly brush a rectangle with butter. Add a small amount of cheese and spinach mixture along the whole of the edge closest to you. Roll the pastry tightly to make a tube, mixture and add to baking tray.
7. Repeat with the rest of the pastry and mixture.
8. Brush each tube with butter, and sprinkle on sesame seeds if you like them. The recipe works just as well without.
9. Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 mins, or until golden brown.
10. Serve with a honey and herb dip, or sweet chilli for a bit of a kick.