I found this recipe at The Reading Residence and was instantly converted. I’ve modified the recipe ever so slightly, but they take credit for bringing these delightful, fluffy treats into my kitchen.
To whip up 4 of these eggs you need:
4 slices of bread
4 eggs, separated
50g cheese (cheddar, the more mature the better!)
Salt, pepper and chives to taste (dried or fresh)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Lightly toast bread.
3. Whip egg whites until they can stand in peaks.
4. Spread egg whites onto toast, and make a well in the centre.
5. Place an egg yolk into each well.
6. Season with salt, pepper and chives.
7. Sprinkle cheese over the eggs, and season with more pepper and chives.